Thursday, June 12, 2008

Dogs in Heaven

When I was in sixth grade, I adopted a stray collie mix I named Red Baron. He was a child of the wild and refused to be domesticated. We didn't have much time together, but my memories of our relationship can bring me to my knees in a heartbeat. He'd meet me on the walk home from school and we'd roam the woods as a pack of two.

One day, my parents met me instead of Red Baron. They gently explained he'd been hit by a car and killed. A dark pit of despair pulled me into it's vortex and I cried for days. Finally, I comforted myself by imagining Red Baron waiting for me in heaven. We'd be together again some day and nothing would ever come between us.

Then I found out that according to the Bible, dogs don't have souls. Their lives are supposedly transitory and when they're gone, they're gone for good. Aghast, I wondered how heaven could provide eternal bliss without dogs. Even as a twelve year old, I understood that a dogless heaven would be a dismal place.

Forty years later, I still believe that heaven by definition would welcome dogs and be inhabited by every creature we've attached ourselves to in this life, every living thing that has taught us the meaning of joy.

After-life will never be demystified. No one can offer proof of what lies beyond this life. In fact, no one knows what will happen on any given day. What is sure is that those of us who are lucky enough to share our lives with dogs are better people for it. What is certain is that love fortified with an absolute trust is the strongest force in this world. What I choose to believe is that love like that survives beyond this realm. And what I feel in my heart is that Frieda lives on and will be wagging her tail when we meet again.

15 comments:

Alex said...

Thanks for sharing, Ellis. I never met Frieda but my day just got richer for reading about your relationship.

Anonymous said...

Aunt Ellis,
Frieda is so lucky to have had you as her master,friend, and most importantly, her companion. She was an exceptional dog. : )

Anonymous said...

awwwhhh, Ellis, Freida the wonder dog passing over is really hard. She was a great companion to you and yet she was always very much herself. I will miss her scruffy, open face and her greeting bark when I come by your way.
big hugs

M Carron said...

Ellis,
I can't believe that we won't have you and Frieda passing our home almost every day and giving Bubba and Stella a thrill. You both are such a part of wonderful Bay Saint Louis and part of what makes BSL so wonderful. Lots of love from Mike and Susan

Anonymous said...

Dear Frieda,

We are going to miss your happy wagging tail at next years "Dogs on Parade" in Bay St. Louis. May you rest peacefully and enjoy all of great treats in heaven. We will miss her dearly. We love the photos she was such a great companion for 16 years.

Love and miss you,

Schonda, Daniella, Steve, Holly, Chester ( our dog) and Nora ( our Kitten).
Waveland

yukiko said...

Ellis,
The first time I met Frieda, she jumped into my arms and continued that until she was unable to jump anymore. I miss that and will always remember her for the friend she was.
Thank both of you for being a part of my life.
Wolfe

Unknown said...

Much of what I know of Frieda was her musical side. As we would crank up the amplifier for practice, she would either nestle in your guitar case reveling in the comfy fit of green felt or when her favorite song was played("Born to be Wild")she would position herself between us for the full stereo experience.
She was and is a gift.

Anonymous said...

Ellis,
From our hearts, Jim and I and all four canines send a family hug for you and a whisper of encouragement for Frieda as she journeys to the other side. If indeed the other side is heaven, and there are no dogs there, I hope I get a choice to go where they went instead.
Canine companionship and love is unique and irresistible to those of us who are smitten with them...if ever you want to invite another canine into your life, I would love to be part of that with you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ellis. We didn't know Frieda, but lost our Maggie last year after 15 years - and know how you feel. How lucky for you both to have been together. Donna and Dewey

Unknown said...

Frieda did love birthday cake! I think she ate my 30th!!! I know she will be waiting for you with icing on her face and a guilty look. Ellis, we will all miss her.

Love,

Lucy

Anonymous said...

Heaven doesn't have dogs???? Ha!!!
Dogs created Heaven. They display with absolute ease, all the quality we humans are most challenged to walk.

And of coarse, re the Creation aspect...well is not DOG...GOD spelled backwards. Freida was a Divine gift that has graced our earth. I know Frieda, and my own Beloveds are still barking and jumping in joy.

She chose her owner well, as you have emobidied all her higher teachings Ellis.

My honor and acknowledgement to you both. elan

Anonymous said...

We will always remember dear Frieda with love. She was one of those great dogs who come into our lives and leave their footprints on our hearts. She came by in the early mornings to share a bit of toast and eggs after breakfast. Scotty will miss her too. He always alerted us when ya'll made your apperance on the Mountain.Love-Rita, Johnny & Scotty "The Cairn Terror"

Unknown said...

I didn't know Frieda but I can totally identify with how you feel. We lost Cleo just after she turned 16. She had been with us through so much. We had adopted a little puppy from the Waveland Shelter and when our house caught fire in 2003 she alerted us. We were able to get deaf Cleo and two cats out of the house thanks to Kodi. When it was time for Cleo to go Dr. Ron came over along with nurse Pam. He said that Cleo had waited until she knew my husband had gotten though his heart surgery. She didn't want to leave me alone until he got home. I'm sure Cleo and Frieda will be great friends on the other side.

David E. Sallis said...

Ellis, there's just something about your writing that always brings tears to my eyes. To this day I can't read "Katrina Patina" without reaching for a Kleenex. This loving tribute to Frieda is another such example.

I only knew Frieda for a short time, but she sure was a sweet puppy dawg! You know I'm more of a cat person than a dog person, but I did love to love on Frieda.

This old agnostic hopes that there is some sort of afterlife where we can be reunited with all of the living beings we have loved and lost--you with your Frieda, and me with my beloved Elvis and Shiva. Perhaps I'll get to play with Frieda some before she goes back to you.

Sweetly be...

Unknown said...

I stumbled on your wonderful essay. It had particular relevance for me in that Barkley, my St Bernard, passed away on Monday. It's been a lousy week so far.

 
Locations of visitors to this page